Salicylic acid (On the skin)
Salicylic Acid (sal-i-SIL-ik AS-id)
Treats skin problems, including acne, psoriasis, and warts.
Acne Cleanser, Advanced Acne Spot Treatment, Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Cleanser, Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Cleansing Pads, Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer, Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser, Avosil, Bensal HP, Clean & Clear Acne Triple Clear Cleanser, Clean & Clear Acne Triple Clear Exfoliating Scrub, Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Moisturizer, Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment, Clean & Clear Advantage Mark Treatment, Clean & Clear Advantage Oil Absorbing Cleanser, Clean & Clear Blackhead Eraser ScrubThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to salicylic acid.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Foam, Gel/Jelly, Liquid, Lotion, Pad, Pad, Paste, Shampoo, Soap, Gel/Jelly
- When you first begin to use this product, apply it to 1 or 2 small affected areas of the skin for 3 days. If no discomfort occurs, follow the directions on the product label or use the medicine as directed by your doctor.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Cream, gel, or lotion: Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- The gel or liquid might be flammable. Do not use or store it near an open flame.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have blood circulation problems, liver problems, or kidney problems.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, ringing in your ears, severe tiredness
- Severe skin redness, peeling, or irritation
- Skin sores or ulcers
- Swelling of the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2019