Aspirin/dipyridamole (By mouth)
Aspirin (AS-pir-in), Dipyridamole (dye-pir-ID-a-mole)
Prevents strokes in patients who have blood flow disorders or a history of blood clots. This medicine contains 2 antiplatelets.
AggrenoxThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to aspirin, dipyridamole, or to NSAID pain or arthritis medicine, such as diclofenac, ibuprofen, or naproxen. Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant, or if you have a reaction to aspirin that includes asthma with a runny nose and nasal polyps (swollen tissue growths).
How to Use This Medicine:
Long Acting Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the capsules whole. Do not crush, break, or chew them.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Many other drugs can interact with aspirin and dipyridamole combination medicine. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially the following:
- A blood thinner, such as heparin or warfarin
- A diuretic (water pill)
- Antiplatelet medicine
- Blood pressure medicine
- Diabetes medicine
- NSAID pain or arthritis medicine, such as diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen
- Probenecid, sulfinpyrazone
- Seizure medicine
- Aspirin can cause stomach bleeding, and alcohol can make the bleeding worse. Tell your doctor if you regularly have 3 or more drinks of alcohol every day.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, chest pain, heart problems, low blood pressure, myasthenia gravis (severe muscle weakness), or a history of stomach ulcer.
- This medicine increases the risk of bleeding. Make sure your doctor knows if you already have bleeding problems.
- Do not give aspirin to children or teenagers who have a viral infection, unless directed by a doctor. Aspirin can cause a serious disease called Reye syndrome.
- Tell your doctor right away if you have a severe headache after you take this medicine. Your doctor may need to change your dose.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Red or black, tarry stools
- Severe headache, sleepiness, confusion
- Severe stomach pain, nausea, heartburn
- Sweating, dizziness, fast heartbeat, ringing in your ears, and feeling warm
- Vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Joint or muscle pain
- Mild stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2019