L-methylfolate (By mouth)
Used as a dietary supplement for depression and schizophrenia. This is a medical food.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to L-methylfolate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you also use aminopterin, capecitabine (Xeloda®), fluoxetine (Prozac®), isotretinoin (Accutane®), metformin (Glucophage®), methotrexate (Trexall®), methylprednisolone (Medrol®), pentamidine (Nebupent®), pyrimethamine (Daraprim®), triamterene (Dyrenium®), trimethoprim (Bactrim®, Septra®), medicine to treat seizures (such as carbamazepine, lamotrigine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone, valproic acid, Depakene®, Dilantin®, Tegretol®), an NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, indomethacin, naproxen, sulindac, Advil®, Aleve®, Celebrex®, Voltaren®), a blood thinner (such as warfarin, Coumadin®, Jantoven®), or birth control pills.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency, or a history of bipolar disorder.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022