Alcaftadine (Into the eye)
Relieves itching of the eyes caused by pollen, ragweed, grass, animal hair, and dander.
LastacaftThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to alcaftadine, or if you have eye irritation caused by contact lenses.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- If you are wearing contact lenses, remove them while you are using this medicine. Wait at least 10 minutes after using this medicine before putting your contact lenses back in. Do not wear contact lenses if your eyes are red. Talk to your eye doctor about this if you have questions.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- If you think you did not get the drop of medicine into your eye properly, repeat the directions with another drop.
- Do not use the eye drops if the liquid changes color or becomes cloudy.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Wait at least 5 minutes before using another eye medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Changes in vision, eye pain
- Increased itching or redness of the eyes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022