Norepinephrine (By injection)
Treats low blood pressure and heart failure.
Levophed, Levophed Bitartrate, Levophed NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to norepinephrine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how norepinephrine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Medicine to treat depression (including an MAO inhibitor, TCA)
- Oral diabetes medicine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart rhythm problems, asthma, blood clots, high blood pressure, or an allergy to sulfites.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Tissue ischemia (low blood supply to the tissue), which may lead to gangrene (skin or tissue damage) of the arm or leg
- Heart rhythm problems
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fainting, dizziness, or lightheadedness
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Numbness, pain, or tingling of the fingers or toes
- Pain, itching, swelling, burning, or redness of the skin where the needle is placed
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety, headache
- Increased sweating
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022