Magnesium hydroxide (By mouth)
Magnesium Hydroxide (mag-NEE-zee-um hye-DROX-ide)
Treats constipation, upset stomach, or heartburn. This medicine is a laxative and an antacid.
Dulcolax Liquid, Dulcolax Soft Chews, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Milk Of Magnesia, Good Sense Milk Of Magnesia, Good Sense Milk of Magnesia, Health Mart Milk Of Magnesia, Leader Milk Of Magnesia, Milk Of Magnesia, Pedia-Lax, Phillips' Milk of Magnesia, Quality Choice Milk of Magnesia, TopCare Milk of MagnesiaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia).
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Liquid, Capsule, Chewable Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Do not use a laxative for longer than 1 week unless your doctor tells you to. Laxatives may be habit-forming and can harm your bowels if you use them too long or too often.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- If you are using this medicine as a laxative, you must drink enough liquid. Drink a full glass (8 ounces) of water or other liquid after swallowing the medicine.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup. Shake the medicine well just before using.
- The chewable tablet must be chewed complete before you swallow it.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Store the medicine at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- This medicine may interfere with some prescription medicines. Ask your doctor if you must take milk of magnesia at a different time than your other medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Rectal bleeding, blood in stools
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, cramping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022