Butenafine (On the skin)
Butenafine Hydrochloride (bue-TEN-a-feen hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats fungus infections of the skin.
Lotrimin Ultra, MentaxThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to butenafine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, mouth, or vagina. Do not use on skin areas that have cuts, scrapes, or sunburn. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a weak immune system.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, burning, crusting, dryness, flaking, itching, redness, swelling, or soreness of the skin where the medicine is applied
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022